August 16 2016
The Canadian Press
Published Monday, August 15, 2016
HALIFAX -- Nova Scotia has lifted some restrictions on travel and activities in wooded areas after weekend rain that reduced the risk of wildfires.
The province has announced the travel ban has been lifted in Cape Breton, but remains in place for the mainland until further notice.
Natural Resources Minister Lloyd Hines says in a release that firefighters battling several major blazes across the province have made significant progress, and there are fewer new fires starting.
The release says that the four largest fires, including one in Seven Mile Lake near Kejimkujik National Park, are 100 per cent contained and crews continue to work on putting the flames out completely.
The ban on camping or hiking in wooded areas was announced last week amid tinder-dry conditions.
Along with the removal of provincial restrictions in Cape Breton, Parks Canada has removed travel restrictions in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park.
Federation of Nova Scotia Woodland Owners
PO Box 358, Brookfield, Nova Scotia
Phone Toll Free 1-844-WOOD-LOT (1-844-966-3568)
© Copyright 2017 Federation of Nova Scotia Woodlot Owners | Site by dash